Thursday, November 16, 2006

Octopus Dan's Halloween Adventures


Last year, Danny was only a few months old for his first Halloween, so he spent most of the holiday sleeping. This year, he was old enough to participate in all of the fun festivities!

Halloween is HUGE here in the south. They have events called "trunk or treat," where a huge group of people get together in one spot (usually a church parking lot) and decorate the trunks of their cars so the kids can go "trunk or treating" to each one. We went to three different ones, and Danny had a blast each time.


His octopus outfit was a hit, even though it got too hot to wear during the daytime, so he wore a special Halloween shirt instead (to the New Yorkers- I know, it's hard to wrap your mind around it being hot on Halloween. I remember when we were kids, we had to wear heavy coats, and sometimes it actually snowed on Halloween!)



David had to teach two classes that night, so we headed out trick or treating at 5pm so Daddy could spend some Halloween fun with Dan before work. We piled Danny and all of his tentacles into the "Octopus-mobile" and headed out.




The best part of the evening for Danny was when we handed out candy on the front porch. I had the gate all set up to block the front steps, so Dan had his run of the front porch. We got SLAMMED with trick-or-treaters.

Danny had the best time putting the candy into the kids' bags, and learned to say "thank you" all by himself! Every time he dropped a piece of candy into a bag and the trick-or-treater told him "thank you," he would beam, look at me, and say "thank you!" in his baby sing-song voice. He loved the "thank you" game so much, when there wasn't anyone around to hand out candy to, he would give me pieces of candy just to hear Mommy say "thank you." I think he emptied out the bowl five times giving me candy!



Now he does the same thing with his toys. I just sit there with my hands out, and he keeps putting his blocks in my hands to hear me thank him!




2 comments:

Dawn said...

That sounds like a great Halloween. We had family in town and went trick or treating with them. You don't have to worry about it yet but the part I hate is all that unhealthy candy. We eat organic most of the year avoiding all food coloring and chemicals. I have had trouble dealing with the candy in the past. But, this year was great! I set the timer for 20 minutes and let the kids eat all they could and then into the trash with the rest. The kids had a blast and the nasty stuff was gone in one night.

Dawn said...

Sounds like you had a great halloween. Our little kids were a hairdresser, skeleton, and tinker bell. The part I hate about Halloween is the candy. We eat organic year around and avoid food coloring and chemicals as much as possible. I never know what to do with all the candy. This year was great! I set the timer for 20 minutes and let the kids eat all they could. Then the rest went into the trash. The kids had a blast and the nasty stuff was gone in one night!!!!!!!!!