Saturday, October 04, 2008

The "Plaster Master"

So, there's a patch of wall where the ceramic/metallic bathtub adjoins the framing in one of the bathrooms. It had slowly worn away and then suddenly was GONE (we won't get into the details that pushed this disaster over the edge!).

I pondered, for several days, how to provide a backing for new plaster to attach to, since now there was just a hole leading straight down to the crawlspace of the house below. Check out the pics and see my problem for yourself.



Actually, if you look closely, you can see a wire mesh in the back of the hole. I cut a strip of screen from the old screen door in the garage and super-glued it into place. Then, I had a substrate to apply plaster, sand, prime, paint, and new caulk!


The only problem now is that the repair job looks more smooth and "new" than the rest of the wall, which has 90 years of pock-marks and other character-building issues! Oh well!

No comments: