Thursday, October 12, 2006

Microwave Madness!



The first day we moved in, the built-in microwave started on fire and the plastic side wall melted. Bravely, I took off the old trim kit and was surprised to see that the microwave was essentially a countertop model that sits on a custom stand with a custom trim piece surrounding it. The date of manufacture for the old microwave was 2001 so I figured that GE didn't still make it. I went to Lowe's and special-ordered a new microwave with dimensions similar to the cutout of the old trim piece. I figured I'd set the new microwave on the old aluminum stand and re-use the old trim piece.

Well, the new microwave was about 1/16-inch too big for the trim piece opening! So, off I went to Lowe's to special-order the new trim kit - it cost almost as much as the actual microwave! And, to make matters worse, while looking up the part number, I discovered that GE still makes the model that had started on fire... We'd already been using the new microwave for a week and special-order items are not returnable...

Luckily, when the new trim kit arrived, it was a perfect fit for the cabinet opening and looks great with the new larger and more powerful microwave. I just sanded and painted the bare wood that was exposed when the old trim kit was removed. Finally done with this project! NEXT...!!! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Boy! you guys are handy!